I’m still working from home in Manchester and don’t really see that changing. I’m now able to spend more time with my family and get the to gym instead of cycling to and from work. As an added bonus, rates for contract developers have risen here as companies in London are now recruiting from across the UK.
Our second baby arrived in March and she’s getting big. We’ve managed a trip to North Yorkshire this year and have another to Northumberland in a few weeks. No…not as exciting as some of the trips I’ve enjoyed in past years but we do at least have a trip to Italy planned next year.
On the contract front, I’ve submitted my noticed for the third time this year, having had a bit of a hard time coming to terms with that as it’s not something I’ve ever done in 9 years of contracting. I suppose in retrospect, I’ve been quite lucky with contracts and ended up working in places that paid well and were a good fit for me. On my most recent two I’ve ended up working with some lovely people but in a way that I didn’t want to. I’ve made a real effort to be vocal about my concerns without being a moaner but ultimately, there’s a load of work on for engineers right now and there’s no point being miserable.
Goals for 2021
- Keep myself booked up with contract work that I enjoy
Publishing a new episode of my podcast each week
- The podcast feels as though it has run its course for now. It’s quite a bit of effort and expense and I’m not feeling as though I get that much value back. Definitely more of a hobby that a true marketing tool.
- Attempting to create a ‘digital asset’ that’ll provide either steady side income or something I can sell
- This is well underway and I’ve just kicked off a linkbuilding campaign. You can see the site here: https://smartboilerrepair.com/
- Move house to ensure the kids can get into the school my wife teaches at
- This is still in-progress and there have been some holdups but we’re hopefully going to have moved by 3 September.
Habits for 2021
- Completing a CrossFit-style workout 2-3 times per week
- Planning and prepping healthy meals in advance
- Stop biting my nails -> still struggling with this one!
- Socialising more
This is a now page. If my activities or priorities change, I’ll update it.
Last updated: August 13, 2021 at 12:22 pm.